Free Patterns, Paid Patterns, Yarn, Ideas, Tips, Tales & Tangles from a Bi-Stitchual Designer
(c) 2014, 2015 Debra Ashkar, KnitCrochetLove! All rights reserved.
First, go here to get the Layered Daisy in a Heart pattern from Lorene @ Cre8tioncrochet.com, if you haven't already.
Stitches Used: Sl st, sc, hdc, dc, ch.
Materials needed: Size H (5.0mm) crochet hook, and a tapestry needle to weave in the ends. I used 3 colors in worsted weight yarn (a very light pink, a rose, and a dark plum) and estimate that I used 14 ounces of each color, I have a plum-sized ball of each of the plum and the rose left from
2 (7-ounce) skeins of each, and a walnut-sized ball of light pink from 2 (7-ounce) skeins. I joined them together with a scrap ball of white bigger than an orange, and I have some of that left. I estimate 45 oz. total of whatever you choose. You could use more than 3 colors, if you wanted it to look more scrappy, and of course, use up your stash. I made all my squares look the same, with the same color sequence, but you could really mix it up and just pick random colors for each square.
Work the Layered Daisy in a Heart Pattern from step one, up to and including step 10.
Your Flower will be finished and you will have your heart almost done.
Step 11. THIS IS WHERE THE PATTERN VARIES. In front loops (the back loops will be used in the 1st step of the circle pattern, so place a marker in the back loop of the st at the bottom point of the heart so you can find it later) crochet around as follows (each space is separated by a comma) 1sc, 1sc, 1sc, 1sc, 1sc, 1sc, 2sc, 1sc & 1hdc, 2hdc, 2dc, 2hdc, 1sl st, SKIP 1, 1sl st, 2hdc, 2dc, 2hdc, 1hdc & 1sc, 2sc, 1sc, 1sc, 1sc, 1sc, 1sc, 1sc, 1hdc, 2dc, 1hdc, join round with sl st, pull up a loop with the current color, but pull the next color through both loops to finish the slip stitch.
The left pic shows the front of the heart at the edge, steps 11 and 12 completed, the right pic shows under the heart where row 13 was done through the back loops of row 11. (This is why I altered the pattern on row 11, to work through the front loops. Row 11 was done with light pink (looks white in the pic).
12. (I did this step in plum in the pic at the left, it is the outside edge of the heart.) Turn, and sl st in top of hdc and dc. Turn back to RS. From this point on, all stitches are THROUGH THE BACK LOOPS UNLESS OTHERWISE SPECIFIED. 1 sc in each of next ten spaces, 2 sc in next space, sc, sc, sc, sc, 2 sc in next sp, sc, sc, sl, sk, sl, sc, sc, 2 sc in next sp, sc, sc, sc, sc, 2sc, 1 sc in ea of next nine sp, 2 sc in the same sp as the 1st sc of the round.
13. Fasten off and weave in end.
Now to turn the heart into a circle!
Rows, Left to right, step 14: Rose, step 15; Light Pink; Step 16: Plum dc row; Step 17: Rose Wiggly row over the Burgundy.
14. (rose color vertical row that is right in the center of the pic to the right) Turn to the wrong side, and attach a new color next to the marker you placed in Heart step 4. In these 30 back loops,
2sc, hdc, 2hdc, hdc, 2dc, dc,
2dc, hdc, 2hdc, hdc, 2sc, hdc,
2hdc, dc, 2dc, 2tc, 2dc, dc,
2hdc, hdc, 2sc, hdc, 2hdc, hdc,
2dc, dc, 2dc, hdc, 2hdc, hdc, and join with sl st. Do not break yarn, you're going to use it for the wiggly st in row 17 and it won't show if you carry it across the back.(46 sts)
15. Starting at a point even with the bottom point of the heart, attach a new color (I used light pink for row 15) *(Sc, sc, sc, sc, sc, 2sc) repeat from * 6 times, sc, sc, sc, sc, then sc in the same space as the 1st st of the round, join with sl st, pulling a new color (mine is plum) through the last 2 loops. (54 sts)
16. Ch 3, dc around. (54 sts) join with slip st. Let this color dangle at the back while you work the wiggly stitch with the color that is still attached from row 14.
17. Wiggly stitch: Insert hook through the base of one of the double crochet sts in row 16. Pull up a loop of the color you left dangling from row 14 (mine is rose in the pic to the left). Ch 3, sl st to the TOP front loop of the dc st 2 sts to the left of the one you started on. Ch 3, sl st to the BASE of the dc 3 sts to the left of the one you started on, ch 3, sl st to the TOP front loop in the 4th dc from the 1st sl at the top of the dc. Continue in this manner around, spacing the chains 3 sts on the bottom and 4 sts on the top. Join with a sl st and break yarn. Pull tail through to the WS and weave in.
Step 11 >>>